Wednesday, October 15, 2008

Workshop Sort

The goal of Sort is to identify and remove all of the items not necessary for the work area. Based on the future state plan, we sorted in the the basic groups of bicycle gear, ski & camping gear, surfing gear, furniture(desk, shelves, etc). What wasn't in those groups fell into a decision pile -the stuff I didn't know what to do with. The temptation to just move the stuff from the loft. But that just moves the problem out of sight and for another day. Just making more work for myself. Not very efficient or lean.

To help deal with this pile I developed a few rules to help me decide. These will help me "sustain" the loft space going forward as well.
1) all automotive stuff (except for two GMC truck panels) shall live on the main floor of the shop
2) all wood working stuff shall live on the main floor of the shop
3) apply the 3Rs - reuse, recycle, reduce
4) apply critical thought to anything I haven't used in 5 years or will use in the next 6 months.

example: all of the galvanized metal parts have sat for 5 years. I don't forsee a need to use them in the next 6 months. took them to a recycle place.
example: kids picnic bench was saved to pull measurements from. Been up there 2 years. New kids picnic table was purchased last summer. don't need. chuck as wood is rotten.

Sort activity took a few weekends. But definitely felt great with each load to the dump or when I was able to recycle or reuse an item or move it to it's proper place. Pics coming.

No comments:

Post a Comment